Training during COVID
21st September 2021.
Most groups now meet at Tauntons again! Please still check your start location, some groups will be meeting closer to where they will be training
Online sign-up in advance is required!
Exciting updates to our training:
- Group G sessions will now be also taking place on Mondays! If you are a sub <19:30 5k runner, please sign up to Group G
- We are launching a women’s progression training group targeted at female runners who are aspiring to, or can already, run 5 k in ~23 min or 10 k in ~47 min. Read all about it here:
Ladies Development Squad – Lordshill Road Runners
If you can no longer make a session you signed up for, edit your sign up using the link in your confirmation email and deselect the group you had entered before resubmitting your entry. This way your space can go to someone else – if you want to grab one of these spaces, you’ll need to be on the ball and check the availability regularly
All sessions have been fully risk-assessed and will be run-lead/coached and will make use of safe social distancing. In order to to reduce hanging around time and potential transmission of COVID-19 a number of measures are in place:
- Sessions start promptly at 6:30pm – leaving the meeting location for the training location
- All members must run at their own risk – observe current social distancing guidelines at all times
- Groups A, B & C often meet closer to their training location. Please check where your group is meeting
The sign up opens ~48 h before the training session.
Currently signed up for the coming Monday
IMPORTANT: If the name of your running group is empty, you are not signed up! Please do not turn up to training.
Download a PDF copy of the current Monday training schedule here
Group A & B (Beginners/Improvers)
For new runners or those returning from a period of inactivity. We aim to help you reach your individual goals in a supportive atmosphere with an emphasis on fun and friendship. Each week incorporates a mix of basic skills sessions and jog-walk-run sessions to enable you to build confidence, distance and pace.
Builds speed and endurance for those wishing to participate in events up to 10 mile or half marathons. sessions may include hills, speed work or longer runs on nearby roads or paths.
Sessions focusing on speed, endurance and strength at a faster pace than the previous group. A perfect training opportunity for those looking to improve their times in races. Sessions may include hills, fartlek (speed play), intervals and tempo runs.
Training at a higher intensity/pace. Sessions will focus on improving technique as well as speed, strength and endurance in preparation for upcoming races.
These sessions are ideally suited to runners who can better 19:30 for 5k or 40 minutes for 10k, or are aspiring to do so. This group typically has higher volume, focused training for the faster runners in the club. In addition to Monday training, Group G often meets for self-led training on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group A
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group B
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group C
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group D
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group E
- Lordshill Road Runners – Monday Group F
Pacing Guidelines for Monday Night Training Groups
Please note that these are guidelines – depending on the changing ability of current runners and the ability of new members this may change and will be reviewed .
It’s worth spending a bit of time considering whether you’re running with the most appropriate group on a Monday evening. If you are consistently near the front or back of your group, it may be time to consider trying a new one.
We appreciate that there are many different reasons why people run – some people enjoy the social aspect of running, whereas others want to train hard to improve their speed. We’re hoping that everyone will be making progress, but there is no shame in dropping down a group.