It goes without saying that we are facing difficult times at present.
In line with Government advice and guidelines from England Athletics, all Lordshill Road Runner training sessions are currently suspended. No races are presently going ahead.
As a Club, we want to help our members to train at home and stay in touch virtually. On this page you’ll find online resources to help you to stay fit and have a little fun. We’ve also included updates about events that are affected and will endeavour to keep this as up to date as possible. We hope that this makes staying home a little easier.
Whatever training or socialising you choose to do, please do so sensibly and with great caution, following all guidelines issued.
- Stay safe and stay home as much as possible
- Please do not meet with others outside of home to run
- Keep plenty of distance from others if you do head out to exercise (a minimum of 2m)
- Avoid any potentially risky activities, such as trail running anywhere you are not familiar with.
The Lordshill Road Runners Committee continues to meet virtually to ensure we’re doing what we can to support the Club and our members at this time. We’ll continue to keep in touch with you as much as possible.
Lordshill Road Runners Facebook groups
If you’d like to stay in touch with folks you usually run with, try joining the Facebook groups for each of our sessions. You can find all of these on our Social Media page.
Run Talk Run
Headed up by our own Mark West, Run Talk Run are holding weekly Zoom chat sessions on a Tuesday at 18:15-18:45. Please head to their Facebook page or email them at Southampton@runtalkrun.com for the meeting code. All welcome, even if they haven’t attended a run before!
Strength & Conditioning
James Saunders’ Strength & Conditioning
Lordshill’s James Saunders is providing excellent strength and conditioning support based on his regular Tuesday sessions. This includes;
- Daily Challenge
- Self-led strength and conditioning sessions posted on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- Saturday – weekly running session
- Virtual strength and conditioning session – Tuesday 18:30-19:15, via Zoom
You can find full details on the Facebook group here.
University of Southampton exercise classes
The University of Southampton are streaming daily exercise classes live on their Facebook page here.
Joe Wicks PE
Joe Wicks is leading a daily PE session at 9am on YouTube (aimed at children, but big kids can join in too!).
Find his YouTube channel here.
You can find lots of yoga videos on YouTube – Yoga with Adriene is particularly good, and slow enough for beginners.
If you’re looking for motivation for solo runs or cycle rides, or for exercising at home on a treadmill, static bike or turbo trainer, you might want to consider a virtual race.
- Strava Challenges. Just have a look through Strava and there are plenty of free challenges to earn virtual trophies!
- Local Landmarks Challenge. In place of the London Landmarks Half, take a run around local landmarks (church, post box etc) over 5km, 10km or half and earn yourself an exclusive medal. Find out more the London Landmarks Half website here.
- UK Cycling Events have some distance-based virtual challenges which you can enter – usually some of the money goes to charity and you’ll receive a medal upon completion. Find out more on the UK Cycling Events website here.
- RunThrough Events have a variety of virtual events to sign up to. Find out more on the RunThrough Events website here.
- Virtual Runner UK. Raise money for charity and complete a virtual event. Find out more on the Virtual Runner UK website here.
- Great Welsh Marathon and Half. The race is postponed but they’re running virtual events for those interested in a medal! Find out more on the Great Welsh Marathon website here.
- Phoenix Running. You’ll find a variety of more unusual virtual running challenging and medals on the Phoenix Running website here.
- Saxons, Vikings and Normans Marathon and Challenges. More unusual virtual challenges and medals can be found on the Saxons, Vikings and Normans Marathon and Challenges website.
- POW! Virtual Running. Virtual challenges and charity fund-raising online that includes running, walking and cycling. Find out more on the POW! website here.
- Zwift. Virtual cycling for those with a static bike or turbo trainer at home, with different challenges and races to participate in. If you have a treadmill at home, it has a running option too! Find out more on the Zwift website here.
There are free webinars and lots of training advice on the England Athletics website here. It’s aimed at run coaches/leaders but may be useful for everyone.
Cancelled/rescheduled races – correct as of 1st April
With races forced to postpone or cancel at present, it can be difficult to keep up to date with what is happening. We will endeavour to keep the below list correct as circumstances change.
- Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL). Suspended for this season, withno trophies/T-shirts/mugs awarded. If any races from the league this year still go ahead, they won’t be counted as a league race.
- RR10. All races cancelled until the end of June, if remaining races go ahead it will be as per the current schedule
- Salisbury 10 mile – postponed for this year until 11th April 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- ABP Southampton Marathon, Half and 10k – postponed until 21st June, with options to run a solo virtual event instead, or defer to 2021/2022
- Alresford 10km – postponed for this year until Sunday 20th June 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- Netley 10km – postponed for this year until 16th May 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- Alton 10 Mile – postponed for this year until 9th May 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year