Your safety first – training is suspended.
It goes without saying that we are facing difficult times at present. As a club, we are hoping to provide a friendly, supportive and encouraging social network that keeps you motivated, fit and socially connected throughout these turbulent times.
What can take place?
We take our guidance from England Athletics.
- Individuals can exercise with one other person either from their own household OR outside their household.
- Outdoor exercise is limited to one occasion per day.
- Individuals should not travel outside of their local area.
- Virtual training sessions can be delivered by qualified coaches.
- Virtual competitions can still take place.
We strictly follow Government advice and guidelines from England Athletics.
You can find more details and information about which sessions are available on our Training page.
We also have online resources to help you to stay fit and have a little fun when not training with the groups. We’ve also included updates about events that are affected and will endeavour to keep this as up to date as possible. We hope that this makes staying home a little easier.
Whatever training or socialising you choose to do, please do so sensibly and with great caution, following all guidelines issued.
The LRR Committee continues to meet virtually to ensure we are doing what we can to support the club and our members at all times. We will continue to keep in touch with you as much as possible.
Face-to-face training etiquette
We want to help our members to train safely, so there is a sign up link that goes live 24 hours before each session which limits the number of runners in each session group and also stores information for track and trace purposes.
If you signed up, please turn up on time! There are only limited spaces available and it is your duty to make sure they are not ‘wasted’.
When taking part in sessions, please keep plenty of distance (recommended minimum of 2 m).
All information on where and when to meet will be posted on our Facebook page.
Lordshill Road Runners Facebook groups
If you’d like to stay in touch with folks you usually run with, try joining the Facebook groups for each of our sessions. You can find all of these on our Social Media page.
Run Talk Run
Headed up by our own Mark West, Run Talk Run are holding weekly Zoom chat sessions on a Tuesday at 18:15-18:45. Please head to their Facebook page or email them at Southampton@runtalkrun.com for the meeting code. All welcome, even if they haven’t attended a run before!
Strength & Conditioning
James Saunders’ Strength & Conditioning
Lordshill’s James Saunders is providing excellent strength and conditioning support based on his regular Tuesday sessions. This includes;
- Daily Challenge
- Self-led strength and conditioning sessions posted on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- Saturday – weekly running session
- Virtual strength and conditioning session – Tuesday 18:30-19:15, via Zoom
You can find full details on the Facebook group here.
You can find lots of yoga videos on YouTube – Yoga with Adriene is particularly good, and slow enough for beginners.
If you’re looking for motivation for solo runs or cycle rides, or for exercising at home on a treadmill, static bike or turbo trainer, you might want to consider a virtual race.
- Strava Challenges. Just have a look through Strava and there are plenty of free challenges to earn virtual trophies!
- Local Landmarks Challenge. In place of the London Landmarks Half, take a run around local landmarks (church, post box etc) over 5km, 10km or half and earn yourself an exclusive medal. Find out more the London Landmarks Half website here.
- UK Cycling Events have some distance-based virtual challenges which you can enter – usually some of the money goes to charity and you’ll receive a medal upon completion. Find out more on the UK Cycling Events website here.
- RunThrough Events have a variety of virtual events to sign up to. Find out more on the RunThrough Events website here.
- Virtual Runner UK. Raise money for charity and complete a virtual event. Find out more on the Virtual Runner UK website here.
- Great Welsh Marathon and Half. The race is postponed but they’re running virtual events for those interested in a medal! Find out more on the Great Welsh Marathon website here.
- Phoenix Running. You’ll find a variety of more unusual virtual running challenging and medals on the Phoenix Running website here.
- Saxons, Vikings and Normans Marathon and Challenges. More unusual virtual challenges and medals can be found on the Saxons, Vikings and Normans Marathon and Challenges website.
- POW! Virtual Running. Virtual challenges and charity fund-raising online that includes running, walking and cycling. Find out more on the POW! website here.
- Zwift. Virtual cycling for those with a static bike or turbo trainer at home, with different challenges and races to participate in. If you have a treadmill at home, it has a running option too! Find out more on the Zwift website here.
There are free webinars and lots of training advice on the England Athletics website here. It’s aimed at run coaches/leaders but may be useful for everyone.
Cancelled/rescheduled races – correct as of 1st April
With races forced to postpone or cancel at present, it can be difficult to keep up to date with what is happening. We will endeavour to keep the below list correct as circumstances change.
- Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL). Suspended for this season, withno trophies/T-shirts/mugs awarded. If any races from the league this year still go ahead, they won’t be counted as a league race.
- RR10. All races cancelled until the end of June, if remaining races go ahead it will be as per the current schedule
- Salisbury 10 mile – postponed for this year until 11th April 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- ABP Southampton Marathon, Half and 10k – postponed until 21st June, with options to run a solo virtual event instead, or defer to 2021/2022
- Alresford 10km – postponed for this year until Sunday 20th June 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- Netley 10km – postponed for this year until 16th May 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year
- Alton 10 Mile – postponed for this year until 9th May 2021, entries transferred over and swaps available next year